Sunday, February 13, 2011

Testimony PART 4 of 12 I just said Hello

The following week an engineering company called CH2M Hill called me and said we want you to come and work for us in Milwaukee!

The job was for a piping designer, which I was but unfortunately it was designing water and sewer plant, a specialty I did not have.
I told them that I did not have the right skill set and that they would have to find someone else.
But there was no stopping Gods plan. They called back again and said just come and interview and bring your family.
We decided to go and the company put us up in a beautiful hotel that had an indoor water park that the kids totally enjoyed. To make things even better it was Jodi’s birthday weekend!

I went to the interview and it really was just a rubber stamp. A few weeks later we moved to Milwaukee.

When we got to Milwaukee we just throw our stuff into the apartment and headed downtown, I mean that’s where you find homeless people right?

We walked around downtown for a long time without seeing any homeless people. It was cold and the kids were starting to whine. Jodi said that we should head home but I said I know we are suppose to be here, just one more street, if nothing happens we will go.

We started walking up the street and saw a black man walking toward us. As we passed I said hello and kept walk. When we were about 20 feet past him he yelled “what did you say to me?” I thought to myself oh-oh this is not going to be good. I spoke to him and said “I just said hello”.
The details of what happened next are a little fuzzy but he said no one ever talks to me. Moments later he was lying on my shoulder crying. He had once gone to church but had backslide. He quoted scripture like I could only hope to, but he had forgotten that Jesus loved him no matter what he had done.
He went on to say that he was downtown because Manpower was to have a day labor job for him but when he got there the job was not available so he was walking to the other side of town to get some other work.
He asked if I could give him 10 cents. If he only had 10 more cents he would have enough to ride the bus to the other job. “I will find my own way back he said”.
We gave the man $20 to get him there and to get something for his wife on the way home. We also gave him some juice boxes and granola bars that we had brought.
He broke down crying again and we were given the opportunity to pray for him and remind him just how much Jesus loved him.

Please come back for part 5 in a couple of days
Also please check out our website Just Love

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your story just keeps getting better. A simple, "Hi." Just makes me think of all the times I didn't say hi.

    ReplyDelete